PROBATE AND PRIVATE CLIENT FEES
We provide fixed fees for Wills and Powers of Attorney and should you wish to contact us in this regard, please telephone the office and ask for Siobhan Davies who will be pleased to help you.
With regards to probate fees, we provide a fixed fee based on a variety of factors. We set out below the various charges.
APPLYING FOR A GRANT
If the Estate contains assets (such as bank accounts with over £20,000 or Property) which require a Grant of Probate in order to close them and if you would like us to apply for the Grant, the cost will depend on the complexity of the estate and the assets held. The estimated costs will range from £750 plus VAT to £2,500 plus VAT. The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter.
COLLECTING AND DISTRIBUTING ASSETS
Once the Grant of Probate has been obtained and you would like us to collect in all assets and distribute them in accordance with the terms of the will, the costs will again depend on the complexity of the estate, the number of beneficiaries and the number of assets held. The estimated costs will range from £750 plus VAT to £2,500 plus VAT. The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter.
If there is Property involved, we will charge 0.5% of the value of the house in addition to the fees set out above.
Dealing with any sale of transfer of property in the estate is not included in our probate fee. Please see our section on residential conveyancing fees at the top of this page or alternatively please contact us for a personalised and detailed quote.
If the matter becomes protracted or complicated, such as if there is no Will or if the Estate consists of shareholdings (such as stocks, shares and bonds), then any additional work involved will be charged on an hourly rate of £200 plus VAT.
WHERE WHETHAM & GREEN ARE EXECUTORS
In cases where a partner has been appointed Executor or joint-Executor, we reserve the right to charge 1.5% of the Property value plus 1% of the remainder of the Estate value.
DISBURSEMENTS YOU ARE LIKELY TO INCUR
The disbursements noted here are payable to third parties. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
- Probate application fee to the Court of £155 approximately.
- £62.15 Post in The London Gazette – this protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
- £50 approximately. Posted in a Local Newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims. The exact cost depends on the individual newspaper.
- Inheritance tax liability (dependent on size of estate and allowances available).
- Electronic bankruptcy check on each executor, client and beneficiary (£2 per check).
- Office copy entries (Land Registry) where a property is part of the estate.